My theoretical training and orientation is in sociology. I specialize in three areas of research:
- The sociology of knowledge and science.
- Global and transnational political sociology.
- Organizational sociology.
My methodological interests include approaches generally associated with computational social science.
- The analysis of “big data” using social network analysis and natural language processing.
- Agent-based models (ABMs) of knowledge diffusion.
- The study of complexity and complex adaptive systems (CAS) in society.